Abstract

The market for natural makeup has been substantially increasing, primarily because many consumers believe that natural makeup is healthier and higher quality than unnatural makeup. However, perceived health hazards of unnatural makeup have been debunked, and, while there is no evidence disproving the perceived quality superiority of natural makeup, the manipulability of chemical ingredients suggests that unnatural makeup would be superior. Therefore, the question arises as to whether consumers choose natural makeup not because it is actually superior in quality, but because society has led them to believe it is healthier and more effective. A blind consumption test involving four popular brands of lip gloss - two natural and two unnatural - was conducted to determine whether consumers actually prefer their self-identified favorite makeup brands and how influence from the natural product movement affects how closely their self-identified preferences match their blind consumption preferences. Ultimately, it was found that consumers’ self-identified preferences rarely matched their preferences under blind consumption conditions, regardless of how influenced they were by the natural product movement. Thus, the results suggest that makeup consumers make decisions predominantly based on their emotional perceptions of certain brands, as opposed to actual sensed quality differences between makeup products; and, while the natural product movement may be one factor that affects consumers’ perceptions of makeup brands, it is by no means a sole or primary influence in forming consumer opinions.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Implementing and Editing My Method

01/22/16

Last Saturday, I conducted my first round of blind consumption testing and successfully finished 21 participants (so almost half, considering that my final goal is 50) within a few hours, so I am feeling pretty good about my progress so far. In terms of what I learned, it was really only feasible to guide one or two participants through the test at a time, given the tedious process of making sure they are testing the right lip gloss at the right time (each participant has a specific random order they need to test them in for validity reasons) and filling out the section of their blind consumption ranking form that corresponds to the product they are currently sampling. Otherwise, the process went smoothly and was a lot more efficient than I originally thought (each participant only took 5-10 minutes to complete both the test and the exit survey).

As for the results I am finding, 6/21 participants clearly favored unnatural makeup in the blind consumption even though they claimed to prefer natural brands in the exit survey and their answers to the multiple choice questions demonstrated that they were influenced by the natural product movement. 10/21 participants (not including those 6) had rankings that did not match between the blind consumption test and the exit survey, but they were simply personal misconceptions about their own taste and were not necessarily related to a perceived preference for natural makeup over unnatural makeup. The final 5 participants had similar or identical rankings in their blind consumption test and exit survey, some preferring natural products in both, some preferring unnatural products in both, and some preferring drugstore/high end products in both. Overall, participants did not lean toward any one of the 4 products and each participant seemed to prefer different ones, although L'oreal (the unnatural drugstore brand) surprisingly was the most popular in terms of the blind consumption favorite. Thus, I seem to be concluding so far that consumers' emotional responses to brands definitely impact their decision-making, and the natural product movement is lending to some of these emotional responses, but it is by no means the only or primary societal influence present in the makeup market.

As far as getting more participants done, I plan to go into Skin Apeel Beauty Bar when Pam has a lot of appointments scheduled and ask walk-ins if they would be willing to participate in the study. I do not have a specific day picked out yet, but I plan to contact her Monday (I just got a job at Starbucks - super exciting! I am going in after school on Monday to fill out the final paperwork and come up with a training schedule for the next few weeks, so my hands are kind of tied until I figure out what days I am free). However, I am confident that I will be able to get 50 participants by mid-February.

This upcoming week, I will be focusing mainly on editing the written methods section of my research paper. I worked with the organization of the end of my lit review (since it previously included a justification of my blind consumption methodology and justifications for the makeup I am testing) and my methods, and I was able to cut down a lot of words (thank goodness!). After I finish smoothing over the new transitioning at the end of my lit review and the beginning of my methods, I will focus on the explanations and justifications for the vignette and Likert-scale questions in my exit survey.

(589)


3 comments:

  1. Audrey -- so glad that you were able to cut down a bunch of words! That's going to be crucial in ensuring the overall success of the paper, so great work.

    What I want you to start to think about is if there is a way to demonstrate that a significant portion of people make decisions based on misguided thoughts on natural makeup. Is there some sort of statistical analysis that would look at the overall number of participants and the amount of participants that answered in the way you hypothesized?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you included an update about what you are finding in your research. It sounds really interesting and the conclusions you are drawing seem very different than what you expected.

    However, I agree with Mrs. Haag that I would like to see HOW you came to the conclusion that emotional response plays a role on the choice. For example, I want to know how this is just chance versus an actual analysis. I think there are ways to calculate the amount of chance but maybe you can reference Mr. Peacher. I think that a numerical analysis or some tangible way of analyzing the results of the survey would increase the reliability of your conclusions.

    Good luck at your new job! It sounds like your data collection is going smoothly right now so that's awesome! Also, if you are finding that the choices are showing little correlation do you think you will try to get more participants or are you cutting off at 50?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Audrey! Congrats on your new job and on starting your blind consumption tests! Very exciting stuff -- even more exciting is the fact that you're very close to half of 50 participants.

    However, do you have a plan if you don't reach 50? Looking at your first test run, I'm also pretty confident that you will reach 50, but it may relieve some stress if you have some idea about having a shortage of participants. Also, adding to Grace and Mrs. Haag, I think that statistical significance and p values would be a great thing to look at to further validate your study especially since you're in stats and dealing with the possibility of chance. I haven't taken statistics so I wouldn't be able to help you too much but I am sure that there are great references online and at school (Mr. Peacher lol).

    Anyway, great job so far and I hope your future tests go well. You're really getting there!

    ReplyDelete