Abstract

The market for natural makeup has been substantially increasing, primarily because many consumers believe that natural makeup is healthier and higher quality than unnatural makeup. However, perceived health hazards of unnatural makeup have been debunked, and, while there is no evidence disproving the perceived quality superiority of natural makeup, the manipulability of chemical ingredients suggests that unnatural makeup would be superior. Therefore, the question arises as to whether consumers choose natural makeup not because it is actually superior in quality, but because society has led them to believe it is healthier and more effective. A blind consumption test involving four popular brands of lip gloss - two natural and two unnatural - was conducted to determine whether consumers actually prefer their self-identified favorite makeup brands and how influence from the natural product movement affects how closely their self-identified preferences match their blind consumption preferences. Ultimately, it was found that consumers’ self-identified preferences rarely matched their preferences under blind consumption conditions, regardless of how influenced they were by the natural product movement. Thus, the results suggest that makeup consumers make decisions predominantly based on their emotional perceptions of certain brands, as opposed to actual sensed quality differences between makeup products; and, while the natural product movement may be one factor that affects consumers’ perceptions of makeup brands, it is by no means a sole or primary influence in forming consumer opinions.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

We Did It! -- The Value of My AP Capstone Experience

04/16/2017

I can't believe that my BASIS Scottsdale career has come to a close. After a little bit of reflecting, I have come to realize that I am thrilled with all that I have accomplished, and I know that my time at BASIS has adequately prepared me to take Colorado School of Mines by storm this fall.

The AP Capstone program and Ms. Haag's guidance through the past couple years has truly been one of the most (if not the most) enriching pieces of my education. The course, having taken me through the research process five times, has made me a much stronger thinker, writer, and presenter. Not only have I further come to love questioning and finding answers, but I have learned how to approach each question with an open mind. Every time I chose a research topic and answered my question, it was an organic process -- entering the course, I thought that a research project would have clear direction from the beginning, but every question I answered didn't even come about until I conducted preliminary research and discovered a unique aspect of a problem I didn't even know was there. Take, for example, my AP Research topic. Originally, I was going to look at the ingredients of natural and unnatural makeup to determine why natural makeup was superior to unnatural makeup from a chemical perspective; however, during the initial research phase, I found that the social influences that had led me to believe natural makeup was superior were largely unwarranted, so, instead, I ended up pursuing a consumer study to determine which makeup was actually superior, natural or unnatural. I am beyond excited to apply this new open-minded approach to research during my time at Mines in order to answer big questions in engineering and hopefully solve some key issues.

The course has also made me feel so much more confident presenting my ideas in front of an audience. Before seminar, I would have never thought I could memorize a 15 minute presentation, let alone a 10 minute one, to where I could deliver a complex yet convincing argument without even glancing at bullet points on a slide. Especially during my final research presentation, I truly felt like a professional talking about the cosmetics industry. Undoubtedly, learning how to create effective slides and gaining the confidence to completely own the verbal aspect of the presentation will give me a huge advantage in my future education and career.

Lastly, Ms. Haag's unwavering efforts to transform each of us into the best, most capable individuals we can be have probably made the greatest impact. Her constant encouragement and belief that we can do better, her many hours spent carefully editing our work (especially last year -- I really don't have any clue how she got through last year!), her devotion to each of our projects like it was her own... honestly, there is no way I would be the person I am today without her. Her emotional investment in my education has been such a gift to me -- it has enriched my life more than I could ever adequately express.

Here's to the class of 2017 going off and achieving great things, both this coming fall in college and throughout our future careers. We did it! Now it's our time to shine in new places while accomplishing new feats. :)

(561)


4 comments:

  1. Audrey -- your blog just now brought actual tears to me eyes. I so appreciate your gratitude -- it's really fulfilling to see my dedication and work acknowledged by you. I am so very proud of the work that you've done in all of the years that I've had you as a student. You're a remarkable young woman, and I cannot wait to see what you accomplish in your sure-to-be impressive career. Know that you've enriched my life just as much as you say I've enriched yours. I'm going to miss you profoundly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey,

    The Colorado School of Mines definitely does not know what they signed themselves up for when they accepted you (and I mean that in an entirely positive way). I am sure that you will succeed no matter what opportunities you are presented or what obstacles you face.

    And I totally agree with you, the entire AP Capstone curriculum really helped us with the way we think and formulate arguments. Also, Mrs. Haag was amazing in helping us and it was obvious that she truly cared about us.

    I think you are an amazing person and you will definitely be very successful in the future. You have a great attitude and worth ethic. I am sorry that I could not watch your presentation (I have never woken up that early since leaving school), but I am confident that it was a great presentation. You will do amazing. Have fun at CSM!

    Good luck!
    Gursajan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Audrey!

    You are absolutely right in that AP Research opened our eyes to so many different avenues, perspectives, and dimensions of a single topic. As a future engineer, I think your ability to not only look at the scientific/technical aspects of a subject but also the societal and environmental factors will get you far in life. Whenever I think well-rounded, I legitimately think of you. I can't think of one thing you are not amazing at. Whether it be research, martial arts, writing, academics, or economics clubs, you are truly the ideal, perfect student.

    I didn't get to see your presentation either but from remembering your presenting skills at the end of Seminar, I know you probably killed it. You are a very engaging speaker and come off as incredibly knowledge (which you are).

    I also agree Mrs. Haag helped bring forth a lot of the talent that I think we didn't even know we had. She encouraged us, while remaining enthusiastic and committed.

    I will most definitely keep in touch! If not just because you have been a great friend to me all these years then because you will probably be super successful and I need them connections. ;)

    I love you and I know you are going to do amazing at Colorado School of Mines! Keep making the world a better place!

    - Sunskruthi <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Audrey!!!

    I really agree with you when you said that this class was super impactful on our ability as presenters and speakers. I think its a task that was often overlooked in many other classes and that jump from general presentation to AP Graded Seminar presentation was a massive (yet necessary) one!

    Also, when you were discussing how you went from one idea to another, it reminded me of something else that this course really did. The AP Capstone experience really opened all of our eyes to things that we would have never noticed or experienced otherwise. I also think that ability to view topics from a multitude of ways is something that was greatly developed in this course and will be super beneficial in the future.

    Just like everyone else has said, its more than obvious that you will make a great impact in the future and will have a great time at Colorado School of Mines! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete